Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Portland Weekend

While Scott was sampling all the beers at the Phinney Winter Brew Fest, I had a beer-tastic time of my own in Portland! I drove down here for the weekend to help Becca celebrate turning the big 3-0, and we met up with Way and her roommate, Jimin, too. It rained non-stop here (I thought I could get away from the rain if I left Seattle... ha!) so many of our plans were thwarted. Instead, we did a lot of eating and shopping, and shopping and eating. Not a bad way to spend a girls weekend!

On Saturday night, we headed over to Henry's Tavern for happy hour. It's known for having 100 beers on tap, and even though their drinks aren't discounted during happy hour, we still had tons of fun trying out different beers. I tried the local brew, MacTarnahan Amber Ale, and determined it was tasty. That's about as descript I can be when it comes to beer!

Later, we headed over to Jake's Crawfish for Becca's birthday dinner. Jake's is an institution here in Portland - it's the original McCormick and Schmick's, and has been around for over 100 years. It was packed when we got there, but lucky for us, Way made reservations. She had told them we were celebrating a birthday, so the staff was awesome and showed us to a nice booth table and even printed out custom menus that had "Happy Birthday!" at the top of the page. Cool, eh?

Since we were feeling slightly drunk and very decadent, we ordered oysters to start. And boy, these were YUM. I usually like the smaller oysters better, but the Netart Bay Oysters that came out were big, fat and oh-so-good. I think I may have to say they are the best oysters I've ever had! We tried a few other varieties, but none were as good as that one. Becca liked them so much that she decided to forego an entree and just go with more oysters (and a soup and salad)!

1 comment:

W said...

Let's get more oysters when I come up for Thanksgiving!!