Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ocho Ole!

I like tapas a lot. I like the communal aspect of sharing plates, of having a nice wine with your food, and that the food is usually small app size portions enabling you to try lots of things on the menu! I've been dying to try Ocho, a small little tapas restaurant in Ballard, for a while now. It's a tiny place (around 10 two-tops and a small bar area)that gets great reviews and always seems packed. And, after having gone to Toro Bravos in Portland, I've been dreaming about tapas.

Last night we decided to celebrate my first week at my new job with a date night and of course my dinner choice was Ocho! We got there early, around 6pm, but it was already packed! We ended up displacing two single patrons so we can eat at the bar! The waitress asked them nicely, and I guess this happens alot becuase the restaurant is so small.

The menu is listed up on a chalkboard, and the bartender/waiter told us they update it weekly with seasonal items. We ordered:
- Chorizo with olives and fried egg
- Lomo and Manchego Cheese plate
- Gambas al Ajillo (spicy garlic shrimp, a classic tapas!)
- Sauteed wild mushrooms with purple kale
- Warm Octopus Salad

The food ranged from good to very good (Warm Octopus Salad and the Chorizo were our favs), and the service was attentive throughout. Prices are good too (everything is under $7)!

Final verdict: I loved the lively atmosphere, service and prices, which is what I want a tapas restaurant to have (because, you know, I'm an expert on tapas restaurants since I've never been to Spain! :P)! It beats out Toro Bravo in these 3 areas. However, none of the food was spectacular, although it was definitely capable and satisfying. Regardless, I'd go back and would place it on my list of favorite restaurants (so far) in Seattle!

No comments: