Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I love Dahlias

When we were at Pike's Market a yesterday, dahlias were everywhere. They were gorgeous - vibrant, deep colors and big blooms. I bought a bouquet and I'm loving them on my dining table right now!

For Diana's birthday, we continued with the flower theme and made reservations at Dahlia Lounge, Tom Douglas' signature restaurant in Seattle. The interior was painted in a deep red, there were mosaic dahlias on some of the walls, and paper fish lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Very chic! I expected a lot from Dahlia after learning from a work colleague that this was his favorite restaurant in Seattle and I would say I wasn't disappointed!

We started with a sample platter from the Sea Bar and while the portions (tasting sizes) were TINY, all were fantastic. I couldn't get enough of the Olive Oil Poached Halibut! For my main, I ordered the Rotisserie Roasted Five Spice Peking Duck with Udon Noodle Salad. None of my entree was earth shattering, but all very well executed. Duck was flavorful (ie: fatty!) and tender, while the udon salad was nice and refreshing. For dessert, our table split the classics: Triple Coconut Cream Pie, Doughnuts with Seasonal Jam and Tom’s World Famous Crème Caramel. All were seriously good, and I'm not big into dessert.

So now, with a week of Dahlia's under my belt, I'm really loving this flower!

2 comments:

5c0tt said...

Tip for you...
Compare Dahlia back to back with Cafe Juanita in Kirkland. Nothing to note on location or ambiance (its in an old house), but the food can't be beat. My favorite restaurant in Seattle, hands down.

Unknown said...

MMM, those little seafood plates at Dahlia were so good! And those desserts... wow! Loved it! Your flowers look gorgeous, too. :)