Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bloedel Reserve, WA

My family visited May and I last weekend for a little summer fun in Seattle. We did all the tourist things visiting Green Lake, Fremont Chocolate tour ("Theo"), Gas Works park, Ivar's clam chowder restaurant and Queen Anne's Hill Top Ale House. On Sunday, we decided to jump on a ferry and head over to Bainbridge Island to see the much anticipated Bloedel reserve.

Bloedel is definitely worth seeing, but make your reservations ahead of time. It's a 2 mile nature walk weaving throughout the property's 150 acres. The variety of landscapes is the most impressive, ranging from 6 foot tall grass fields, to dense forests, to reflecting pools to english gardens. My only recommendation - more benches along the path. Perhaps even Segways for guests. Heck, I was running things over there I'd merchandise it to the hilt, add some zip lines, gift shop and snack bar.

My sister (Missy) and I both had flights early Monday and my folks took off to explore the Olympic peninsula for a few days. This past weekend when my parents returned we decided to take advantage of the sun and go kayaking on Lake Union. Aside from a few heart-pounding moments trying to get out of the sea-plane runways, we had a lot of fun checking out the hundreds of house boats in the marina. We debated for awhile which of the homes was the 'Sleepless in Seattle' home, so I guess that means we need to watch the movie again. In the afternoon we decided to explore Luther Burbank park on Mercer Island. It was surprisingly big, tons of area to spread out, relax and watch the boats pass by.







No comments: