Wednesday, December 10, 2008

pizza pizza

I have decided that Seattle is a pizza town. They don't have a type of pizza that they've made their own (like Chicago style pizza or California pizza), but still, there's lots and lots of pizza places in the city. I wonder if there is some sort of correlation between number of pizza places and number of microbrews!

Anyway, since my good friend Barb was in town for a few days, I looked up a few good restaurants we could try to meet up at and Via Tribunali, a Neapolitan-style pizza joint in Capitol Hill that I've heard about, was walking distance from her hotel. Her sister had been before and gave it a nod of approval so off we went!

From the outside, the restaurant looks small and cozy, but when you walk in, you realize that the brick walls are VERY tall and that the room extends pretty far back. With all of the dim lighting and tall booths though, it actually felt quite cozy. It somehow felt old-world European, and just right!

We each ordered a starter salad (I got a classic salad of arugula + parmesan) and then split 2 pizzas: the Via Tribunali and the Salsiccio. Both were very good, with top-notch ingredients and a nice thin, but chewy, crust. The Salsiccio was the better of the two and I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been due to the tasty little sausages on there.

So now, I think I've tried most of the big pizza joints in town except for Serious Pie (which I've heard good things about and I am trying to find an excuse to go!). My general assessment so far is people take pizza pretty seriously here and load the pies up with good, interesting toppings. I don't mean they use funky combinations like you can find at CPK, just more like high-quality types of salami. Probably because of that, pizza isn't a cheap meal here though.

No comments: