Monday, October 12, 2009

This is some SERIOUS pie

I've said it before that Seattle is a pizza town. There are a ton of pizza joints in this city, and one of the more famous ones is called Serious Pie. It's a Tom Douglas outpost, but those have been hit-or-miss with us so we weren't expecting too much.

Since the restaurant was recently featured on a show on the food channel, after we picked Way and Kevin from the airport, we headed over for a late night dinner. Even though we got there at 9:30, the place was packed and we had to wait half an hour for a table. And by table, I mean we got 4 spots at one of the several communal tables. Cozying up next to our neighbors ended up being fun though. The guys to our right told us they were visiting from DC and thought this was the best pizza they have EVER had, and had already had lunch there this afternoon. The couple to our left ordered around the same time as us and we all compared tasting notes.

And the tasting notes were:
Roasted Chanterelle and Truffle Cheese: So yummy! Earthy but delicate, and swooning with truffle-ness. I might have to say that this is MY favorite pizza ever.
Penn Cove Clams, House Pancetta and Lemon Thyme: Nice clam flavor, with just a bit of salt from the pancetta to even out the seafood, but I think I'm not a fan of clam pizza.
Wild Boar Sausage, Walla Walla Onions, Sole de Sardegna: Good, but not great pizza. Of all the three we tried, this was the "safest" of the bunch.

Overall, I think the pizza was one of the best I've ever had! It's frou-frou pizza though, so not something that you'd have on a weeknight, watching a football game with your beer buds though. I think what makes it so good is the top notch ingredients and then really good pizza dough. The dough reminded me a bit of naan - really light and airy and crisped just right. Way thought it was a bit too sweet so we think they may brush on a bit of honey, but for me, that was alright and it rounded out some of the flavors.

2 comments:

W said...

Yay for Serious Pie! It was fun to try, and it was kinda cool to be seated in communal tables too. It got me thinking about all the good places that are here in SF too. I've already been to many, but there are 4-5 more I need to hit...so I'm making it my mission to visit all of them by the end of the year! I think Kevin will be happy with that quest. :)

dlundin said...

Sign me up for my next trip!