Monday, September 7, 2009

Pok Pok is my version of heaven

Portland is a great eating town because it has lots of restaurants that aren't too hard on the wallet. As we were driving back from the Ranch last week, it was such a coincidence (heh) that we passed through Portland right around dinner time...! I directed us to Pok Pok Whisky Soda Lounge, a cozy Thai restaurant in the SE section of Portland that holds the honor of having their Fish Sauce Wings named as one of Food & Wine magazine's Top 10 Dishes of 2007. Normally, I am skeptical of any asian restaurant that has a full bar, but since Way recommended it, I tried not to let my prejudice get the best of me.

And oh boy! This stuff was g-o-o-d. We ordered the famous wings, which Scott tore into like a little kid in a candy store. They were salty (a little too much I think), but tempered with some sticky sweetness and a little smokiness from being on a grill. We also got the Boar Collar Meat - the meat was a bit chewy, but was intense with chili-lime-garlic flavor. Lastly, we got a Pork Belly salad since we are suckers for pork belly and I love most any Thai salad. This one didn't disappoint - it was fiery hot and limey.

We left with happy tummies and a vow to return. The restaurant reminded me a lot of Lotus of Siam, the Vegas Thai place that I rate all Thai restaurants against. The menu was different and interesting and it certainly didn't dumb down the heat and flavors of the food. The bar, I thought, actually added to menu with interesting drinks (Thai bloody mary using Thai chilis anyone?) and atmosphere to boot. This place, along with those delectable oysters we had at Jake's and the killer tapas at Toro Bravo, cements my opinion that Portland is a chowhound's dream!

1 comment:

W said...

I'm glad you liked Pok Pok! Lotus of Siam is still my favorite, but Pok Pok is far and away better than the majority of Thai restaurants out there. You're lucky it's semi-close to you! When I went, the fish sauce wings were too salty but the boat collar meat was goooood. Next time, try out Tanuki and tell me what you think!!